The Worldwide Independent Music Industry Network (WIN) supports independent music trade associations globally. WIN is a global forum for the professional independent music industry. It was launched in 2006 in response to business, creative and market access issues faced by the independent sector everywhere. For independent music companies and their national trade associations worldwide, WIN is a collective voice. It also acts as an advocate, instigator and facilitator for its membership.
WIN exists to support the independent music community through interaction with representative trade organisations and groups, and working directly with international music industry bodies on issues of global significance.
For independent music companies and their national trade associations worldwide, WIN is a collective voice and platform. When appropriate it also acts as an advocate, instigator and facilitator for its continually growing membership. WIN is also a focal point for collecting and sharing knowledge about the indie sector at national and international levels. WIN takes its direction from the WIN Council of leading independent music company heads from all the key markets around the world.
WIN’s membership stretches across every continent, with trade associations in all the well-developed legitimate music markets taking a particularly active role – including AIM (UK), A2IM (USA), AIR (Australia), CIMA (Canada), VUT (Germany), IMNZ (New Zealand) , AIRCO (South Africa), UFI (Spain); APROFIP (Peru); ABMI (Brazil) – and Impala representing the whole of Europe.
WIN’s priorities are set by the global membership, and included the creation of Merlin, the world’s first independent global new media rights licensing agency.
Some key issues on WIN’s agenda include:
- Monitoring the policies and effectiveness of collective rights management and licensing organisations for independent rights holders
- Working directly with collecting societies to ensure independent rights holders’ interests are properly represented internationally
- Providing legal and commercial support to independent trade associations
- Development of independent trade associations and representative groups in countries where they do not yet exist
- Supporting member trade associations in national copyright, legislative and related issues
- Future protection and development of independent music companies in a rapidly changing market.
WIN members include:
- American Association of Independent Music (USA)
- Associacao Brasileria da Musica Independente (Brazil)
- Association Quebecoise de l’industrie du disque, du spectacle et de la video (Quebec)
- Peruvian Association of Independent Phonographic Producers (Peru)
- Association of Independent Music (UK)
- Australian Independent Record Labels Association (Australia)
- South African Association of Independent Record Companies (South Africa) –
- Associao de Musicos Artistas e Editoras Independentes (Portugal)
- Belgian Independent Music Association (Belgium)
- Association for French Record Companies (France)
- Canadian Independent Music Association (Canada)
- Danish Independent Record Association (Denmark)
- Federation of Music Producers Japan (Japan)
- Association for Norwegian Record Companies (Norway)
- Independent Music Copnanies Association (Europe)
- Independent Music New Zealand (New Zealand)
- Finnish indie labels and producers association (Finland)
- Independent Label Council of Japan (Japan)
- Record Labels Industry Association of Korea (South Korea)
- Svenska Oberoende Musikproducenter (Sweden)
- Stichting onafhankelijke muziek producenten (Netherlands)
- Union Fonogragrafica Independiente (Spain)
- Union des Producteurs Phonographiques Francais Independants (France)
- Austrian Association of Independent Music (Austria)
- German Association of Independent Music Companies (Germany)
Membership Information: http://winformusic.org/win-members/
Support Letter: https://music.us/letters/Worldwide_Independent_Network_WIN.pdf